Skip to main content

First Things

Hello everyone. This is the first of what I hope to be many posts, Lord willing. I guess I should begin with three things, an introduction of myself, a hint at the direction of the blog, and a justification for blogging.

I am a first year mdiv student attending part time at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, IL. I also work full time as a programmer and project manager at a marketing research firm in downtown Chicago. I've been happily married for three years to my wife Sung.


What will I post on this blog? My interests are theology (especially hermeneutics, doctrine of God, doctrine of Scripture, and ethics), sports, and rock music, but theology will probably be the main area of discussion. I love the Bible, and I love to engage in interpretation of Scripture. Expect to see a lot of that here, both in general discussion of Biblical interpretation and interpretation of specific texts. I hope that it will be enriching to all who read, and that I will benefit from your thoughts, questions, and criticisms. Scriptural interpretation is a community endeavor. Therefore, I don't see this blog as a one way street, with me relaying information to you. I hope you respond and that we both grow in faith and holiness.
This brings me to my last point.

Why am I blogging? It's not because I think I know so much or am special in my ability to interpret the Bible. At the same time, I do have a greater opportunity to study and think about God's word than some of you do. I hope that I can encourage and strengthen you through what God has taught and continues to teach me. Through that process I also hope that God uses you all to sharpen me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Calvinist than Calvin?

I'm working on a paper on the topic of divine sovereignty and human freedom. Occasionally on this topic (or the subtopic of election) you will hear people through out the barb at strong Calvinists that they're 'being more Calvinist than Calvin.' After having read Calvin carefully on the issue I don't think that there's any validity to that charge. I don't see a material difference here between Calvin and say John Piper. Here are several quotes from the Institutes to prove my point. 'All events are governed by God's secret plan.' I.xvi.2 'Governing heaven and earth by his providence, he also so regulates all things that nothing takes place without his deliberation.' I.xvi.3 'Nothing happens except what is knowingly and willingly decreed by him.' I.xvi.3 Calvin explicitly rejects a limited providence, 'one that by a general motion revolves and drives the system of the universe, with its several parts, but which does not specifc

Galatians 2:11-14: The circumcision group

11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain people came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray. 14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs? (TNIV) There's an important issue that we need to wrestle with in this passage, and it's the question of whether or not the people from James and the circumcision group are the same group. I am not inclined to think that they are. The ensuing discussion is drawn from Longenecker's commentary pp 73-5

Paul's Argument in Galatians 3:6-14

6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. 10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.” 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham mi