Skip to main content

Song of Songs 2:8-3:5: Separation


8The voice of my beloved! Look, he comes, leaping upon the mountains, bounding over the hills. 9My beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag. Look, there he stands behind our wall, gazing in at the windows, looking through the lattice. 10My beloved speaks and says to me: “Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away; 11for now the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. 12The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. 13The fig tree puts forth its figs, and the vines are in blossom; they give forth fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.
14O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the covert of the cliff, let me see your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely. 15Catch us the foxes, the little foxes, that ruin the vineyards— for our vineyards are in blossom.” 16My beloved is mine and I am his; he pastures his flock among the lilies. 17Until the day breathes and the shadows flee, turn, my beloved, be like a gazelle or a young stag on the cleft mountains.
1Upon my bed at night I sought him whom my soul loves; I sought him, but found him not; I called him, but he gave no answer. 2“I will rise now and go about the city, in the streets and in the squares; I will seek him whom my soul loves.” I sought him, but found him not. 3The sentinels found me, as they went about in the city. “Have you seen him whom my soul loves?” 4Scarcely had I passed them, when I found him whom my soul loves. I held him, and would not let him go until I brought him into my mother’s house, and into the chamber of her that conceived me. 5I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles or the wild does: do not stir up or awaken love until it is ready! (NRSV)
After a clean break with 2:7, we are thrust right back into the action! The man has burst upon the scene in search of his beloved. The man is young and vivacious. The woman so loves the man that she can't even relay his message without praising him. We now hear his voice. It's an invitation to the woman to enjoy the sights and smells of newness of life. As Longman puts it, he 'evokes a scene of newness, vigor, freshness, joy, expectation - a context for joyous lovemaking' (122). Spring is the time for love to blossom and to be fully experienced. An experience the man is calling the woman to join him in.[1]

The man is asking the woman to come join him, to leave her inaccessible station and to let him be exposed to her beauty more intimately. The desire that brought him to her mother's house with such rapidity drives him to beg that even at this moment he can have a small, first-hand experience.

The woman responds to the man, calling him a fox that roams freely. She can't allow him to roam freely for long. She must catch him and make him hers for good.[2] Mutual possession is what she's after. A possession that is permanent, unhindered. For now, though, she must bid him adeau, until the night comes when they can meet and enjoy each other without reserve.

In 3:1 we shift to a nocturnal scene. The man is not where he is desired, in bed with the woman. As seems to be the pattern night after night. She can't take it anymore, so she goes out in search of the man, throwing off all social restraint. Who knows where he is? She can't even wait long enough to hear the response of the watchmen. Finally she catches her fox![3]

I will discuss 3:5 in a separate post.

--------------------
[1] So Bergant p. 30.
[2] Verse 15 is one of the toughest to crack in the whole Song, though I do believe that Exum has satisfactorily elucidated this enigmatic sentence.
[3] The sexual overtones of verse 4 are strong, between the parallelism in vs. 4 and the bed/bedchamber parallelism between vs. 1 and 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Calvinist than Calvin?

I'm working on a paper on the topic of divine sovereignty and human freedom. Occasionally on this topic (or the subtopic of election) you will hear people through out the barb at strong Calvinists that they're 'being more Calvinist than Calvin.' After having read Calvin carefully on the issue I don't think that there's any validity to that charge. I don't see a material difference here between Calvin and say John Piper. Here are several quotes from the Institutes to prove my point. 'All events are governed by God's secret plan.' I.xvi.2 'Governing heaven and earth by his providence, he also so regulates all things that nothing takes place without his deliberation.' I.xvi.3 'Nothing happens except what is knowingly and willingly decreed by him.' I.xvi.3 Calvin explicitly rejects a limited providence, 'one that by a general motion revolves and drives the system of the universe, with its several parts, but which does not specifc

Galatians 2:11-14: The circumcision group

11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain people came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray. 14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs? (TNIV) There's an important issue that we need to wrestle with in this passage, and it's the question of whether or not the people from James and the circumcision group are the same group. I am not inclined to think that they are. The ensuing discussion is drawn from Longenecker's commentary pp 73-5

Paul's Argument in Galatians 3:6-14

6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. 10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.” 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham mi