Long time readers of this blog will remember some of my prior top 10 lists. I'm going to try to bring them back, but rather than doing them monthly, I'll aim for quarterly. This quarter's top 10 list is the top 10 burger toppings. In the past the lists have been the compiled results of one to three of my co-workers. This time around, because the topic was so important, I pooled together the responses of eight individuals (including myself) to make it so that one person's preferences don't skew the whole list.
10. Mustard (19 pts): When combined with the right other toppings mustard gives a burger some good zip. McDonald's has perfected the use of mustard on a burger.
9. Avocado (20 pts): Sliced avocado is a nice topping on high quality burgers. It's mild flavor doesn't draw attention away from the meat.
8. Pickles (23 pts): Pickles are a must have on all fast food burgers (and Chik-fil-a sandwiches).
7. Lettuce (24 pts): Lettuce (along with cheese) was the item that appeared on the most lists, only being omitted once. It only comes it at number 7 because it doesn't rank highly on any list. The key with lettuce is that it is so versatile and almost never detracts from the experience.
6. Onions (25 pts): The nice thing with onions is that you can utilize them in a number of forms: raw, sauteed, or deep fried. It all depends on what the burger calls for!
5. Ketchup (31 pts): When the burger comes off the grill at a barbecue the first thing I'm grabbing for is the ketchup.
4. Tomato (32 pts): This is the highest rated item that didn't appear on my personal list. Tomato, much like lettuce, largely makes the list because of it's versatility.
3. BBQ Sauce (33 pts): After seeing the list one of my coworkers commented that when he starts a burger restaurant he's definitely featuring a barbecue bacon burger. My personal favorite burger is topped with bbq sauce, bacon, cheddar, and onion strings.
2. Bacon (46 pts): Bacon makes just about everything better, including burgers. The enhancement by its crispiness and moderate saltiness is almost unparalleled.
1. Cheese (57 pts): As you might have expected cheese was the runaway winner, taking three out of eight first place votes. The varieties of cheese available mean that there's always a cheese to go with the rest of your toppings. And in my opinion, a burger isn't a burger if it doesn't have cheese.